As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Dumas, TX, you are going to soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year making it among the highest paying medical occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dumas, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, you might want to evaluate all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you will learn about the full range of techniques required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders so it is important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison with other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones can be driven aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you might want to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many people complete the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Dumas, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs which may be completely different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Dumas, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dumas, TX reviewed by Audrey BURNS on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.