Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Durango, CO, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the highest paying medical occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Durango, CO
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a school, be sure that you evaluate all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured you will learn about the full variety of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very diversified and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison to others. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some online training can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are oftentimes driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might like to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Durango, CO
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- M.S. in Counseling
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Colorado, licensing is handled by the Colorado Office of Occupational Therapist Registration. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain numerous forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that could be completely different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Durango, CO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Durango, CO reviewed by Morgan ANDREWS on June 5.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.