When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in El Segundo, CA, you will soon discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly which makes it among the best paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in El Segundo, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to select a school, make sure you think about all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you will learn about the full range of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders so it is really important that your training is very extensive instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are sometimes driven aside as students undertake their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail that you should evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in El Segundo, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include several forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs which are often very different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near El Segundo, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in El Segundo, CA reviewed by Jackson RODRIGUEZ on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.