After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Elizabethtown, PA, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it one of the best paying medical occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Elizabethtown, PA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a training program, make sure that you think about all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will be taught the full range of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders making it important that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual practical training compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for some online courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household can be pushed aside while students carry on their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you ought to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many students graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Elizabethtown, PA
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administered by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include quite a few forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs that may be very different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Elizabethtown, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Elizabethtown, PA reviewed by Parker ROSS on June 1.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.