Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Emmaus, PA, you should soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying healthcare professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Emmaus, PA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, it is important to examine all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you will be taught the full array of skills required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often times driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you should consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Emmaus, PA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- M.S. in Counseling
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is handled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who have needs that will be very different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Emmaus, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Emmaus, PA reviewed by Nathaniel PERRY on June 8.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.