Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Emmaus, PA, you should soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying healthcare professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Emmaus, PA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, it is important to examine all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you will be taught the full array of skills required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often times driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you should consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Emmaus, PA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is handled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who have needs that will be very different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Emmaus, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Emmaus, PA reviewed by Nathaniel PERRY on June 8.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.