Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Ennis, TX, you are going to soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year making it among the best paying health care vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ennis, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, you might want to evaluate all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders so it is really important that your training is very extensive rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical training compared to others. In situations where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household tend to be driven aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail that you have to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Always find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Ennis, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
- Physical Therapy Technician Certificate
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain a number of forms to submit. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needs which may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Ennis, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ennis, TX reviewed by Natalie CRUZ on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.