When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Eustis, FL, you should soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it among the best paying health care occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Eustis, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, make sure you examine all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very diverse and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant component you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to others. In instances where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some people online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household can be pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you want to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Eustis, FL
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Mental Health Technology
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain several forms to submit. Never pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs which can be different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Eustis, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Eustis, FL reviewed by Lauren RAY on June 17.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.