After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Evergreen Park, IL, you should soon see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually making it one of the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Evergreen Park, IL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a training program, it is very important to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders so it is important that your course work is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes may vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online classes can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often pushed aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final item that you should examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Evergreen Park, IL
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Illinois, licensing is controlled by the Illinois Occupational Therapy Board. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include several forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs which are often very different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Evergreen Park, IL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Evergreen Park, IL reviewed by Carlos CRUZ on June 8.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.