Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Farmington, MO, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Farmington, MO
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a school, make sure you think about all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you will be taught the full range of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are oftentimes pushed aside while students continue their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you might like to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Farmington, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is controlled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain a number of forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients which have needs that will be very different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with young children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since you will have many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Farmington, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Farmington, MO reviewed by Charlotte ORTIZ on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.