As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Farragut, TN, you can expect to quickly discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Farragut, TN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a training program, be sure that you think about all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you will learn about the full variety of techniques needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders so it is very important that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to others. In instances where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class will vary greatly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are frequently pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you ought to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Farragut, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administered by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain several forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that may be different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, since you will have several instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Farragut, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Farragut, TN reviewed by Noah JONES on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.