Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Fort Atkinson, WI, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fort Atkinson, WI
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a training program, it is important to think about all of your options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders so it is essential that your schooling is very extensive rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to others. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you might want to check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Fort Atkinson, WI
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain numerous forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs which are often different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Fort Atkinson, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fort Atkinson, WI reviewed by Julia PAYNE on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.