Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Fortuna, CA, you should quickly find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fortuna, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, it is important to consider all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders making it crucial that your training is very diverse rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual practical training as compared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household can be driven aside while students continue their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you should have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Fortuna, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
- Respiratory Therapy
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AS)
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include several forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs that may be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Fortuna, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fortuna, CA reviewed by Bentley SANDERS on June 6.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.