When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Gainesville, TX, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year making it among the best paying medical jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gainesville, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a training program, it is important to examine all of the options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain you will be taught the full array of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very extensive and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important component to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to others. In situations where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some people online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones tend to be driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you need to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Gainesville, TX
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include a number of forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs that could be very different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Gainesville, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gainesville, TX reviewed by Amelia WELLS on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.