When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Gainesville, TX, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year making it among the best paying medical jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gainesville, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a training program, it is important to examine all of the options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain you will be taught the full array of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very extensive and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important component to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to others. In situations where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some people online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones tend to be driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you need to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Gainesville, TX
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include a number of forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs that could be very different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Gainesville, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gainesville, TX reviewed by Amelia WELLS on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.