Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Gaithersburg, MD, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying health care vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gaithersburg, MD
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a school, make sure that you analyze all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important factor to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often times driven aside as students carry on their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you might want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Gaithersburg, MD
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Maryland, licensing is controlled by the Maryland Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain several forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs that could be different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Gaithersburg, MD that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gaithersburg, MD reviewed by Liam DAVIS on June 12.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.