As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Galt, CA, you are going to soon discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the highest paying health care jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Galt, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a training program, it is very important to analyze all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain you will learn about the full array of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders therefore it is important that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family will often be pushed aside as students continue their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you want to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Galt, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include quite a few forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients which have needs that may be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with small children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Galt, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Galt, CA reviewed by Noah JONES on June 7.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.