Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Garner, NC, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the best paying health care jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Garner, NC
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, be sure that you evaluate all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders making it crucial that your schooling is very extensive rather then too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another important feature you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison to other training programs. In instances where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are often driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue that you have to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Garner, NC
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In North Carolina, licensing is handled by the North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include numerous forms to submit. Never pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients that have needs that could be different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Garner, NC that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Garner, NC reviewed by Logan PARKER on June 2.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.