As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Germantown, WI, you should quickly see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Germantown, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a training program, it is important to think about all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you will be taught the full range of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is crucial that your schooling is very diversified instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important feature you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the others. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many people online training courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you ought to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Germantown, WI
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain many forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs which can be different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with kids who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will have many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Germantown, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Germantown, WI reviewed by Sophia FORD on June 12.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.