When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Glendale, WI, you will probably quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the best paying medical jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Glendale, WI
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a training program, be sure that you analyze all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full range of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very diverse rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience compared to others. In situations where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones can be driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you might like to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Glendale, WI
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administered by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain quite a few forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients that have needs which may be very different compared to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with infants who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since you will have many instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Glendale, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Glendale, WI reviewed by Aaliyah KENNEDY on June 13.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.