As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Goodlettsville, TN, you should quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying medical vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Goodlettsville, TN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a training program, you might want to analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health problems and disorders making it crucial that your schooling is very diversified instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to others. In instances where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are oftentimes pushed aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you need to check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Goodlettsville, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administered by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include many forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs that could be different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Goodlettsville, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Goodlettsville, TN reviewed by Alexander MOORE on June 16.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.