After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Grand Terrace, CA, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying health care occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Grand Terrace, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a school, you might want to analyze all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you will learn about the full variety of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders making it crucial that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail that you should check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Grand Terrace, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain numerous forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that could be very different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with young children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Grand Terrace, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Grand Terrace, CA reviewed by Austin BELL on June 13.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.