Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Greenfield, CA, you can expect to soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it among the best paying medical jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Greenfield, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a training program, you will need to think about all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain you will learn about the full range of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other schools. In cases where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family will often be driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you want to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Greenfield, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain numerous forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Greenfield, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Greenfield, CA reviewed by Jordan EVANS on June 3.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.