As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Greensburg, PA, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Greensburg, PA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a training program, it is very important to analyze all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders making it crucial that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some people online training can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often times pushed aside as students pursue their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item that you have to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many students complete the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Greensburg, PA
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administered by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain numerous forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs that could be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since you will have several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Greensburg, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Greensburg, PA reviewed by Matthew ALLEN on June 12.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.