Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the highest paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a school, make sure that you consider all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you are going to be taught the full variety of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders so it is imperative that your schooling is very extensive rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important factor to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often driven aside while students continue their training and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing that you should have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mostly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Michigan, licensing is administrated by the Michigan Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include several forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs that could be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Grosse Pointe Woods, MI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Grosse Pointe Woods, MI reviewed by Nicholas EDWARDS on June 8.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.