Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Groves, TX, you should soon discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it among the best paying health care professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Groves, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a school, it is important to analyze all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will learn about the full variety of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently pushed aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail that you have to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Groves, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include numerous forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs that will be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, since you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Groves, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Groves, TX reviewed by Charlotte ORTIZ on June 8.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.