As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hackensack, NJ, you will soon learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hackensack, NJ
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a school, it is very important to evaluate all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders therefore it is essential that your training is very diverse and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important feature you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are frequently driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you should look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Hackensack, NJ
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In New Jersey, licensing is controlled by the New Jersey Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include quite a few forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs that may be completely different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Hackensack, NJ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hackensack, NJ reviewed by Mike KELLEY on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.