After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Haines City, FL, you are going to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying healthcare jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Haines City, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a training program, you will need to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders making it important that your course work is very extensive rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant feature to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the others. In situations where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some people online classes can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Haines City, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year being primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include several forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients that have needs that may be completely different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since there will be many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Haines City, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Haines City, FL reviewed by Jasmine FOX on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.