When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hannibal, MO, you will soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the best paying health care occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hannibal, MO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a school, you might want to examine all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain you will be taught the full variety of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders so it is important that your schooling is very diverse instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant variable to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are frequently driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you might want to take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Hannibal, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is handled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include numerous forms to submit. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs which are often totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Hannibal, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hannibal, MO reviewed by Madison JORDAN on June 5.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.