As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hawthorne, NJ, you will quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the highest paying medical-related careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hawthorne, NJ
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a school, be sure that you consider all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will learn about the full variety of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it essential that your course work is very diversified instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family tend to be driven aside while students carry on their training and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you should look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Always find out how many people graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Hawthorne, NJ
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In New Jersey, licensing is handled by the New Jersey Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain a number of forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs that could be different compared to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Hawthorne, NJ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hawthorne, NJ reviewed by Daniel ANDERSON on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.