When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Henderson, TX, you should soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying medical vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Henderson, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a school, you will need to analyze all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very diverse instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to others. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones tend to be pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you should check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Henderson, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include several forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Henderson, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Henderson, TX reviewed by Henry ROBERTS on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.