When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Henderson, TX, you should soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying medical vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Henderson, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a school, you will need to analyze all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very diverse instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to others. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones tend to be pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you should check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Henderson, TX
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include several forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Henderson, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Henderson, TX reviewed by Henry ROBERTS on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.