When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hereford, TX, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying medical professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hereford, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, be sure that you evaluate all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you will learn about the full variety of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders making it important that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant feature you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some people online courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are frequently pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you might want to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Hereford, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include many forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs which may be different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Hereford, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hereford, TX reviewed by Leah BOYD on June 5.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.