As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hermosa Beach, CA, you can expect to soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying health care professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hermosa Beach, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a school, make sure that you think about all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders making it important that your training is very extensive rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online classes can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are sometimes pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you should check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Hermosa Beach, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include several forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs which are often different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Hermosa Beach, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hermosa Beach, CA reviewed by Alexander MOORE on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.