When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hershey, PA, you should soon see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hershey, PA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a school, be sure that you think about all of the options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full range of techniques required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison with other schools. In situations where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household will often be driven aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you need to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Hershey, PA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administrated by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain numerous forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs that could be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with kids who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as you will have several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Hershey, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hershey, PA reviewed by Bentley SANDERS on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.