As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hewitt, TX, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying medical-related careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hewitt, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, make sure that you examine all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders so it is essential that your schooling is very diverse and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important factor to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison with others. In instances where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are often driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you need to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Hewitt, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
- Physical Therapy Technician Certificate
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include quite a few forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs which are often different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Hewitt, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hewitt, TX reviewed by Eli TURNER on June 16.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.