As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hialeah Gardens, FL, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the best paying health care careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hialeah Gardens, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, make sure you analyze all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very diverse instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with others. In cases where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family will often be pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you might like to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many students graduate from the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Hialeah Gardens, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about two years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain a number of forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs that may be different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Hialeah Gardens, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hialeah Gardens, FL reviewed by Kylie DUNN on June 5.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.