When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hillsborough, CA, you should soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the highest paying medical-related professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hillsborough, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, you will need to evaluate all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diverse rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many of us online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you ought to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Hillsborough, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain numerous forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients which have needs that will be completely different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Hillsborough, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hillsborough, CA reviewed by Blake JAMES on June 7.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.