As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Holdrege, NE, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Holdrege, NE
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, it is important to consider all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you will learn about the full range of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very diverse instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical training compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are often pushed aside as students pursue their education and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you need to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Holdrege, NE
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In NE, licensing is controlled by the Nebraska Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs that may be very different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, since there will be several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Holdrege, NE that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Holdrege, NE reviewed by Mia WEST on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.