As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Holdrege, NE, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Holdrege, NE
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, it is important to consider all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you will learn about the full range of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very diverse instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical training compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are often pushed aside as students pursue their education and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you need to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Holdrege, NE
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In NE, licensing is controlled by the Nebraska Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs that may be very different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, since there will be several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Holdrege, NE that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Holdrege, NE reviewed by Mia WEST on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.