As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Holly Hill, FL, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Holly Hill, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a training program, it is very important to evaluate all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders so it is very important that your course work is very diverse instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to others. In cases where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are oftentimes pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Holly Hill, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include numerous forms to submit. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs that could be totally different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Holly Hill, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Holly Hill, FL reviewed by Aria LAWRENCE on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.