After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Howard, WI, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying healthcare careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Howard, WI
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a school, you will need to analyze all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you will learn about the full array of competencies required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it really important that your training is very diversified instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones tend to be driven aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you need to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Howard, WI
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administered by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include numerous forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that may be totally different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with infants that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Howard, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Howard, WI reviewed by Kaylee MASON on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.