Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Ithaca, NY, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying healthcare careers that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ithaca, NY
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a school, it is important to consider all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured you will be taught the full range of competencies needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another important variable you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household tend to be driven aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you want to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Ithaca, NY
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. in Addiction Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In New York, licensing is administered by the New York State Board for Occupational Therapy. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include a number of forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs which may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as there will be many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Ithaca, NY that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Ithaca, NY reviewed by Tim MYERS on June 16.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.