Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Jacksonville, TX, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the best paying medical professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Jacksonville, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a training program, make sure that you think about all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you will learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to others. In cases where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online training courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family can be driven aside as students continue their education and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Jacksonville, TX
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs that may be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with infants who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Jacksonville, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Jacksonville, TX reviewed by Alexis REYES on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.