As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Kaukauna, WI, you will soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kaukauna, WI
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, be sure that you evaluate all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured you will be taught the full range of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diverse instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical experience when compared to others. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary significantly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones will often be pushed aside while students undertake their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might like to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Kaukauna, WI
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is controlled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain a number of forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs which may be totally different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because there will be many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Kaukauna, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kaukauna, WI reviewed by Gabriella WARREN on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.