As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Kennett, MO, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually which makes it among the best paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kennett, MO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a school, you might want to analyze all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health concerns and disorders so it is imperative that your schooling is very diversified rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical experience compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family will often be pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you might like to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Kennett, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include numerous forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs which can be completely different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Kennett, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kennett, MO reviewed by Leah BOYD on June 14.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.