Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in La Marque, TX, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year which makes it among the best paying health care jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in La Marque, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a training program, it is very important to examine all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you will learn about the full range of techniques required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders making it really important that your course work is very diversified instead of too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another important variable you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the others. In cases where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household can be pushed aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail that you should have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many students graduate from the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in La Marque, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year being primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which are often very different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near La Marque, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in La Marque, TX reviewed by Savannah GORDON on June 2.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.