When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in La Mirada, CA, you will probably soon discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying medical jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in La Mirada, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, make sure that you consider all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is really important that your course work is very diversified and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical training compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are oftentimes pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you should evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in La Mirada, CA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain many forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs which may be different than from the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near La Mirada, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in La Mirada, CA reviewed by Tony GREEN on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.