Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in La Palma, CA, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying healthcare professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in La Palma, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, make sure you examine all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full array of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very diversified instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to others. In instances where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones tend to be pushed aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you might want to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in La Palma, CA
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
- Respiratory Therapy
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Massage Therapy
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who may have needs which are often different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near La Palma, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in La Palma, CA reviewed by John YOUNG on June 5.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.