Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in La Vergne, TN, you should soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in La Vergne, TN
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a school, make sure that you evaluate all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you are going to be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders so it is imperative that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison with other schools. In situations where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are sometimes pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you should evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Be sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in La Vergne, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is handled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include numerous forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs which may be totally different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near La Vergne, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in La Vergne, TN reviewed by Mason JOHNSON on June 14.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.