Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lady Lake, FL, you should soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it among the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lady Lake, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a school, be sure that you examine all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders so it is important that your schooling is very diverse rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant feature you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are frequently pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item that you have to take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Lady Lake, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lady Lake, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lady Lake, FL reviewed by Lydia AUSTIN on June 8.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.