Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lady Lake, FL, you should soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it among the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lady Lake, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a school, be sure that you examine all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders so it is important that your schooling is very diverse rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant feature you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are frequently pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item that you have to take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Lady Lake, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lady Lake, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lady Lake, FL reviewed by Lydia AUSTIN on June 8.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.