As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Laguna Woods, CA, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the best paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Laguna Woods, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, make sure that you evaluate all of your options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident you will learn about the full variety of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it imperative that your training is very diversified rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another important variable you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the other schools. In cases where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many of us online training can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be driven aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor that you have to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Laguna Woods, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include a number of forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs that may be totally different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will have several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Laguna Woods, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Laguna Woods, CA reviewed by Joshua THOMPSON on June 4.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.