After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lake Jackson, TX, you are going to soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the best paying health care professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Jackson, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a training program, make sure you consider all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you will be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is very important that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with other schools. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class will vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you need to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Always find out how many people finish the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Jackson, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being primarily class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain numerous forms to fill out. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients that have needs which can be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with infants who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Lake Jackson, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Jackson, TX reviewed by George FOSTER on June 4.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.