After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lake Oswego, OR, you are going to soon discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Oswego, OR
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, make sure that you analyze all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you are going to be taught the full range of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it imperative that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to others. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are oftentimes driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail that you have to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Oswego, OR
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Oregon, licensing is controlled by the Oregon Occupational Therapy Licensing Board. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain numerous forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients which have needs that may be different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with young children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lake Oswego, OR that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Oswego, OR reviewed by Larry RODRIGUEZ on June 15.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.